October 23 – November 4, 2022
Participant Legal and COVID Entry Requirements
Thailand does not require a PCR test from home before traveling. Thailand does not require a visa in advance for passport holders from the US or Canada visiting for less than 30 days (see www.visahq.com to confirm your visa status). Justifi operates under Thailand’s “Test and Go Program” which means that there is no arrival quarantine. In order to qualify for this, you must:
- Apply for and receive the free “Thailand Pass” at least 1 week for the Trip
- Provide proof of complete COVID vaccination
- Purchase qualifying travel insurance
- Take a PCR test upon arrival and have pre-arranged private transportation to a certified hotel
- Be traveling on a round trip airline ticket
Prior to the end of the trip Justifi will schedule PCR testing through a certified laboratory to provide proof documentation enabling you to fly back home, if necessary (the testing fee is at your expense).
COVID travel policies frequently change and Thailand has already announced a phase out of restrictions beginning April 1, 2022. The responsibility for all personal travel arrangements belongs to the traveler, but Justifi closely monitors the situation and can advise and assist every step of the way.
Our 4-star hotels in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are located in safe, fun areas with a variety of restaurants, activities, and shopping in the area to explore. Accommodation is based on double occupancy and you’ll be able to request a roommate (or we can pick for you!). A true highlight of the trip will be our visit to Thailand’s remote far north Chiang Rai region and our stay at the luxurious Le Méridien Resort on the banks of the Mae Kok River. All hotels have a single-occupancy option for an additional fee.
- Your outbound flight should depart the United States on Sunday, October 23 to arrive in Bangkok (airport code: BKK) on Monday, October 24 before 11pm
- Your return flight should depart Thursday, November 3 after 7pm from Bangkok (airport code: BKK)
Arriving in Thailand
Thailand currently has an additional $100 mandatory COVID fee for PCR testing upon arrival, private transportation from the airport, and COVID safety certification of our Bangkok hotel. Although we expect this policy to be removed in the coming months, if it is still in place for our trip Justifi will handle all of the testing, transportation and hotel arrangements.
The currency in Thailand is called the “baht” and its symbol is ฿. Currently $1.00 is approximately ฿33.00. There are ATM machines and money changers in the airport (after collecting your luggage and clearing customs). The rates they offer are reasonable. We recommend that you withdraw/change at least ฿3,300 lkj(roughly $100) to get started, but you will be able to find ATM machines throughout Thailand. International credit cards are widely accepted but there are still many shops and venues that only accept cash.
Mobile phone usage and SIM cards
Inexpensive local Thai SIM cards providing data and calls for your unlocked phone from back home can be easily purchased for $10-20 on level 1 in the Bangkok airport arrivals terminal from either the DTAC or TruMove (two leading telephone companies in Thailand). Alternatively, check with your mobile provider from home to see if it offers a special international service. There is also free wifi in the airport and everywhere we stay (quality varies!) allowing you to stay in touch with family and friends.
Justifi has operated 35+ trips to Thailand since 2010 so we have a deep understanding of the culture, geography, opportunities, and challenges of this important destination. Check out the Sample Itinerary to get a sense for the awesome activities and experiences on the Trip and a final itinerary will be sent out a few weeks before the Trip begins. Justifi handles all the logistics and arranges for local transportation, accommodations, cultural experiences, tours, volunteer projects, experienced guides and educators, entry fees, permits, and two or three meals each day. Except where noted below, your Program fee includes all of this!
What’s not included?
- In addition to the Program Fee, you’ll also have these expenses:
- Round trip flights to Thailand
- Thailand COVID fee of $100 (unless the policy changes)
- Emergency global medical and travel insurance that meets Thailand’s criteria
- Tips for the local staff (suggested $100) Note: Justifi staff will collect this to distribute appropriately
- End of trip COVID PCR test to fly home (if required)
- An additional meal on certain days, as per the itinerary
- Souvenir shopping, activities on your own, extra snacks and drinks, etc
These items can be booked in advance through Justifi:
- Emergency global medical and travel insurance ($65)
- Guaranteed Single Occupancy ($600)
Justifi can arrange a personal extension to the set itinerary for a few days before or after (or both!). Arriving a few days early is a great way to acclimate yourself after a long journey and to see additional highlights of the bustle of Bangkok. And a few days enjoying the pristine beaches of Thailand’s gorgeous southern islands of Ko Phi Phi, Phuket, or Koh Samui is a phenomenal way to pamper yourself before returning home.